Monday, October 18, 2010

Bracketing 101

Went to Mackinaw City this weekend and as usual I have to photograph something while I am up there. We went to McGulpin Point Lighthouse and there was a beautiful blue sky, but capturing that sky can be tricky. One solution is to “bracket” your exposure. I set my camera to auto bracketing and took 3 photos one over exposed one under exposed and as goldilocks says one just right (according to the camera). I then layered the photos in Photoshop masked out the sky and the foreground to achieve the desired look that I wanted. There are other options to doing this such as HDR or using a graduated neutral density filter but the main point in this post is that your camera does not see the range of light and color that your eye does so you need to help it out to get a great looking photo.

McGulpin Point Light

No comments:

Post a Comment